Skip to content

Complaints against the PCC or Deputy PCC

The Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and Deputy PCC represent the people of Avon and Somerset and must conduct themselves in a way that does not discredit their office. 

The PCC and Deputy PCC are subject to a Code of Conduct called the Ethical Framework which sets out the expected standards of personal and ethical conduct. View the Ethical Framework Policy.

There have been 47 complaints against the incumbent PCC as recorded by the Police and Crime Panel.

Types of complaints

Non-criminal complaints

If you feel the PCC or Deputy PCC have breached their Code of Conduct this is classed as a non-criminal complaint.

Any complaints of this nature are sent to the Chief Executive of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) to handle and categorise.

The complaint could then be handed to the Police and Crime Panel (PCP) to take further action. The PCP is made up of 14 councillors from all local authorities in the area plus three independent co-opted members. The PCP scrutinise the actions, decisions and performance of the PCC and Deputy PCC.

Criminal complaints

If your complaint is about a possible criminal offence such as inappropriate behaviour from the PCC or Deputy PCC it will be referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

You can also make a complaint to the IOPC about how a police force is run. For example, you can complain about policing standards or policing policy.

Make a complaint

We will respond to your complaint within ten working days to confirm that we received it and will aim to resolve the matter within 20 working days.

  • online — fill in the make a complaint form
  • by post —

    The Chief Executive Officer
    The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner
    Avon and Somerset Police Headquarters
    Valley Road
    BS20 8JJ

Appeal against the outcome of your complaint

We are unable to record or consider a complaint that is made on the basis that the PCC does not agree with your argument or has failed to find in your favour during a complaint review.

If the PCC is unable to help she will explain why, but a complaint must be based on conduct and not a difference of opinion. Any valid complaint must show how the PCC personally breached the Code of Conduct.

Non-criminal complaints appeals
If you disagree with the response from the Chief Executive Officer regarding a non-criminal complaint you can ask for the matter to be escalated to the Police and Crime Panel.

Criminal complaints appeals
If you disagree with the response given by the IOPC regarding a criminal complaint, you need to contact them to discuss.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?