Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services (HMICFRS) assesses and reports on the police and their work. Their independent reports are used to drive improvements in the delivery of services and to inform the public about the police and how they work.
Whenever the HMICFRS publish a report that is relevant to a police force, the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) has a duty to respond.
HMICFRS reports and the response from the PCC are listed below.
PEEL assessment by HMICFRS
The primary framework in which police forces are inspected is called PEEL: Police Effectiveness, Efficiency and Legitimacy. PEEL assessments look at the whole performance of a single police force.
As a result of the Integrated PEEL Assessment, forces are given a grade in each of these three areas.
The four grades are:
- Requires improvement
|How effectively does the force reduce crime and keep people safe?||Good|
|How efficiently does the force operate and how sustainable are its services to the public?||Outstanding|
|How legitimately does the force treat the public and its workforce?||Good|
The full assessment of Avon and Somerset Police can be found on the HMICFRS website.
Read the response from the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) to the Home Secretary on the 2018/19 HMICFRS inspection.
|Meeting current demands and using resources||Preventing crime and tackling ant-social behaviour|
|Planning for the future||Investigating crime|
|Protecting vulnerable people|
|Tackling serious and organised crime|
|Fair treatment of the public|
|Ethical and lawful workforce behaviour|
|Fair treatment of the workforc|
HMICFRS thematic inspections
HMICFRS will also carry out inspections to look at how police forces in England and Wales deal with particular issues (themes).
This is done by looking at multiple police forces and agencies to make sure they fully assess the processes and procedures in places and actions are taken to address the theme/s.
- View A joint thematic inspection of the police and the Crown Prosecution Service’s response to pare- Phase one: From report to police or CPS decision to take no further action on the Gov.uk website
- View the Police response to violence against women and girls on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Police response to fraud on the HMICFRS website.
- View State of Policing: The Annual Assessment of Policing in England and Wales 2020 on the Gov.uk website
- View A shared confidence: A summary of how law enforcement agencies use sensitive intelligence
- View A joint thematic inspection of the criminal justice journey for individuals with mental health needs and disorders on the HMICFRS website.
- View State of Policing: The Annual Assessment of Policing in England and Wales 2019/20 on the GOV.uk website
- View Roads policing: Not optional – Inspection of roads policing in England and Wales on the GOV.uk website
- View the Crime data integrity re-inspection report on the GOV.uk website
- View Call for help: Police contact management through call handling and control rooms report on the GOV.uk website
- View the PEEL Spotlight Report: The Hard Yards on the GOV.uk website
- View the State of Policing: The Annual Assessment of Policing in England and Wales 2019 on the GOV.uk website
- View the Impact of the pandemic on the criminal justice system: a joint view of the criminal justice Chief Inspectors on the criminal justice system’s response to covid-19 on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Inspection of the effectiveness of the Regional Organised Crime Units on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Disproportionate use of police powers: A spotlight on stop and search and the use of force report on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Getting the right balance? An inspection of how effectively the police deal with protests report on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Review of policing domestic abuse during the pandemic – 2021 report on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Inspection into how effectively the police engage with women and girls on the HMICFRS website.
- View the Neurodiversity in the Criminal Justice System: A review of evidence on the HMICFRS website.
- The police and The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) response to crimes against older people (PDF)
- An inspection about abuse of position for a sexual purpose (PDF)
- How well does the Police select and develop chief officers? (PDF)
- Emerging themes from the first group of 2018/19 PEEL inspections (PDF)
- Emerging themes from the second group of 2018/19 PEEL inspections (PDF)
- An inspection of the Terrorism Act (TACT) custody suites in England and Wales (PDF)
- An inspection of the police response to fraud (PDF)