Engagement and Events Manager
REPORTS TO: Head of Communications and Engagement
SALARY: £31,425 – £40,419 (points 26-35)
Are you highly motivated, dynamic, enthusiastic and organised?
Do you have strong experience in community engagement and events management?
Are you passionate about empowering people on issues affecting their communities – particularly those who are under-represented or vulnerable?
If so we want to hear from you at the Office of the Police & Crime Commissioner (OPCC) for Avon and Somerset.
We are hiring an Engagement and Events Manager to oversee the Police and Crime Commissioner’s (PCC) programme of engagement with people living in our area.
A key role for the PCC is to be the voice of local people in policing and scrutinize and hold the police to account for their service to communities.
This new role in our organisation will help to improve the strategic management and mapping of our stakeholder engagement at the OPCC.
As well as Community Engagement, you will support engagement with OPCC partner agency and stakeholder engagement.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join a hard-working, skilled and inclusive team to support the PCC, Mark Shelford, to lead improvement in efficiency and effectiveness of policing, victim support and criminal justice services on behalf of local people.
- Forward plan, organise and diarise appointments, for the PCC and Deputy PCC to attend on a weekly basis, with commissioned partners, political stakeholders, third sector organisations, community groups or members of the public.
- Lead the co-ordination of engagement events (in person and virtual) with stakeholders and partners with support from OPCC colleagues.
- Create itineraries and co-ordinate preparation of background briefings and key messages in advance of the PCC’s visits.
- Accompany the PCC on engagement days to help facilitate discussions, take notes and record any follow up actions/work streams from meetings and appointments.
- Co-ordinate with the communications officer to provide information and materials for follow up press releases, blogs and social media regarding the visits. Take photos at engagement appointments for use, by the communications officer, on social media and in press releases following the engagement days.
- Assess and evaluate engagement activity, including by attending de-briefs with the PCC and Deputy PCC to discuss follow up actions, what went well and what can be improved.
- Carry out research and horizon scanning for organisations and community groups, not visited before, that are potentially relevant for the PCC and Deputy PCC to meet.
- To project manage the development and implementation of a stakeholder mapping and management software application which will provide strategic oversight of all PCC engagement activity.
- Liaise with OPCC colleagues to identify potential opportunities for engagement visits for the PCC and Deputy PCC.
- Focus on developing the OPCC offering of community engagement opportunities with diverse and under-represented communities from across Avon and Somerset.
- Work with communications and other colleagues to ensure community views and experiences are fed into the work and priorities of the OPCC.
- Work flexibly with Communications and Engagement colleagues to support OPCC objectives in line with the communications and engagement strategy.
- Ensure the corporate image of the PCC and the OPCC is effectively presented and the brand protected.
- Ensure all duties are performed in accordance with the principles and requirements of Data Protection legislation.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the OPCC values, equality and diversity through actions and activities.
How do I apply?
If you are interested in the role, please complete the application form by 12 noon 13 October.
Selection days will be held week commencing 31 October. The start date will have some flexibility however we would like to have this position covered as soon as possible.